Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Irish Beef and Guinness Stew
Celebrate Irish cooking traditions with this delicious Irish Stew. The Guinness beer gives this stew a savory and herbacious departure from American Style stews. Feel free to add additional vegetables you enjoy.
Write a review
- 2 lbs. Stewing Beef
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 Large Sweet Onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Puree (dissolved in 4 Tbsp. water)
- 1 1⁄4 cup Guinness Beer
- 2 cups Carrots, largely diced
- 1 spring Fresh Thyme
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- - Chopped Parsley, to garnish
- Trim the meat of any fat or gristle and cut in 2" cubes.
- Toss the beef with 1 TBSP of the oil then in the flour to coat well.
- Heat the remaining 2 TBSP of the oil in a medium size sauce pot with a tight fitting lid, until the oil is just beginning to smoke.
- Add the cubed, floured beef and brown on all sides.
- Reduce the heat, add the onions, crushed garlic and saute one to two minutes.
- Add the dissolved tomato puree and water as well as the beer, carrots and thyme.
- Cover and reduce heat until barely simmering and cook very slowly for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- When the meat is tender, remove the thyme sprig and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a garnishment of chopped parsley.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/