Chicken Tortilla Soup
Makes 1 Quart / 4 Servings
1 tsp Garlic, Minced
½ Cup Sweet Onion, Chopped
1 Medium Jalapeno Pepper, Minced
2 TBSP Butter
3 TBSP All Purpose Flour
4 Cups Chicken Broth (Or Stock)
1 Cup Half & Half
½ Cup Nino’s Santa Fe Style Black Bean & Corn Salsa
1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, Shredded
½ Cup Cut Corn
2 Cups Cooked Chicken Meat, Diced
1 tsp Cumin, Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
2 TBSP Cilantro, Fresh Chopped
2 Cups Nino’s Homemade Tortilla Chips, Broken
To Taste Salt & Pepper
- In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt butter then sauté garlic, onion and jalapeno for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth and half and half and bring to a simmer while stirring.
- Add all remaining ingredients (including tortilla chips) and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional tortilla chips as garnish if desired.
Tortilla Crusted Chicken Breasts with Salsa & Sour Cream
4 – 6 oz Chicken Breasts, Boneless & Skinless
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 TBSP Cumin Powder
1 TBSP Chili Powder
½ tsp Oregano
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Black Pepper, Ground
2 Extra Large Eggs
¼ Cup Water
2 Cups Nino’s Homemade Tortilla Chips, Finely Crushed
As Needed Vegetable Cooking Spray
1 Cup Nino’s Santa Fe Style Black Bean & Corn Salsa
½ Cup Sour Cream
2 TBSP Cilantro, Fresh, Chopped
- You will need 3 shallow bowls to bread the chicken.
- In the 1st shallow bowl, mix together flour, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder and black pepper.
- In the 2nd bowl, beat together eggs and water.
- Place the finely crushed tortilla chips in the 3rd bowl.
- To bread chicken, place each breast in the seasoned flour mixture, shake off excess, then dip in beaten egg mixture, then dredge in the crushed corn tortilla chips.
- Liberally spray a non-stick cookie sheet with vegetable spray and place each of the breaded chicken breasts on the sheet. Afterwards, spray the top surface with the vegetable spray as well.
- Place the tortilla crusted chicken breasts in a pre-heated 400 F oven for approximately 15 minutes, then turn over and cook approximately 12 to 15 minutes more or until each side of the chicken is golden brown and the meat is firm, and cooked through to 165 F.
- Serve each chicken breast with approximately ¼ cup salsa, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro.
Tortilla Chip Casserole with Chicken & Enchilada Sauce
Makes one 2 quart casserole serving 6 persons
1 Bag Nino’s Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 Large Sweet Onion, cut into ½” x 2” strips
2 Medium Bell Peppers (1 Green, 1 Red) cut into ½” x 2” strips
4 Medium Chicken Breasts, Boneless, Skinless, Cooked and Cut Into Small, ¼” Thick Pieces
2 – 8 oz Pkg. Monterey Jack Cheese, Shredded
3 – 10 oz Cans Enchilada Sauce (Brand & Heat Level of Choice)
To Garnish Salsa / Sour Cream / Guacamole
Additional Casserole Ingredients You Can Add:
- Canned Black Beans
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- In a medium non-stick sauté pan over high heat, heat olive oil and then sauté onions and peppers until soft and lightly colored. Remove from pan and allow to cool to the touch.
- Break tortilla chips into 1 inch pieces and divide into 3 equal portions.
- Spray the inside surface of a 2 quart casserole dish with vegetable spray and evenly sprinkle one third of the broken tortilla chips over the bottom of the dish.
- On top of the chips, sprinkle one half of the sautéed onion and peppers mixture, one half of the cooked chicken and one third of the shredded cheese.
- Before continuing onto the next layer, evenly pour approximately ½ cup of the enchilada sauce over the ingredients.
- Begin a second layer by repeating the process, beginning with tortilla chips, onions and peppers, chicken and cheese then topping again with enchilada sauce.
- Finish casserole by topping with the last third of the broken tortilla chips, a half cup of the enchilada sauce and the last of the cheese.
- Place casserole in a pre-heated 350 F oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and the casserole is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before portioning and serving.
- Each portion of casserole can be garnished with additional enchilada sauce, sour cream, salsa or guacamole.