| ||"Dip Tips" & Recipes for Your Holiday Gatherings|
| || |
|Oddly enough, the 2 most popular months for dips are at opposite ends of the year. July….and December.|
Perhaps even more odd, is that unlike the “main course” dishes of those 2 food seasons (for example grilling and barbecuing in the summer and roasting and braising in the winter), dips stand on their own as a unique “food group” and are equally appropriate and enjoyed in both hot and cold weather.
Dips, as most everyone knows, are semi-soft, almost liquid mixtures of ingredients that once introduced to a chip, cracker, toast or nearly any vegetable, instantly become a sum greater than its parts. And whether intentional or not, some dips have ruined parties by being SO good, that sometimes a host’s expensive buffets have gone mostly untouched.
Great dips are crowd pleasers and a good way to gather people and stimulate conversation and choosing the right dips for your crowd should therefore be just as important as the other foods you intend to serve. Too often, a host has only chosen something they personally enjoy and have not taken into account the varied tastes of their guests.
The most common Dip Types are:
• Creamy Dairy Based (sour cream/cream cheese) such as French Onion Chip Dip.
• Vegetable Based such as Tomato Salsa, Guacamole, Eggplant Dips, Hummus or Relish Dips that have Olives, Roasted Peppers or other vegetables in them.
• Cheese Based (Various cheese combinations served both hot and cold).
Of course some dips are combinations of these most common types and there are endless ways you can modify them to suit you and your guest’s tastes.
Among the most popular dipping foods are; various types of chips (including tortillas), crackers, crisp toasts, breads (including pitas), vegetables & (some fruits). Considering all of these choices are rather inexpensive, it’s always a good idea to have at least 3 of these choices available for your guests to choose from at your party.
*For more great cheese and cracker ideas for your party, see our Summer Cheese and Cracker Pairings.
To add a little “spice’ to your holiday table this year, check out these great dip recipes that we think your guests (or your family) will really love. Try one or try them all!
• Chunky Artichoke, Spinach and Jalapeno Dip
• Nino’s Guacamole Dip
• Red Bean & Cheese Dip with Chipotle
• Smoky Southwest Black Bean Dip
• Zesty Sweet Corn Salsa
• “Guy” Fondue
• Nino’s Firehouse Sirloin Chili Dip
And here’s one more NEW RECIPE you’ll want to add to your dips recipe collection!
Nino’s Cheezy Cheddar Bacon Spread/Dip
- 4 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- ¾ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise (or Salad Dressing)
- 8 ea Bacon Strips, Cooked Crisp & Chopped
- 2 TBSP Bacon Grease
- ½ Cup Green Onions, Sliced 1/8” on Bias
- ¼ Cup Red Bell Pepper, Minced & Patted Dry
- 2 Drops Liquid Smoke
- To Taste Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Fry bacon until crisp. Strain and reserve bacon grease and chop bacon and reserve.
2. In a food processor with an “s” blade, blend together cheddar cheese, sour cream and 2 TBSP of the bacon grease.
3. Remove blended contents into a mixing bowl and stir in chopped bacon, green onion, red bell pepper and liquid smoke seasoning. Adjust consistency with a little hot water if necessary to arrive at a dip-able or spread-able consistency of your choice.
4. After placing dip in service dish of your choice, lightly garnish with freshly grated black pepper.
Not in the mood to make your own?? No problem!! Nino’s stocks literally DOZENS of the most popular (and some of the most unique dips you’ll ever see!!)
From our popular 7 Layer Dip to Spinach Dips, Creamy Artichoke Dips, Mexicali Dips and our Nationally Award Winning Salsa, Nino’s has everything you need to create a memorable (and tasty) dip display.