Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Honey and Soy Braised Short Ribs
Braised dishes can be great dishes, truly inspired dishes. They're tender and full of great flavors.
Write a review
- 4 lbs. Beef, Short Ribs
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Sweet Onion, cut 1in. diced
- 1⁄2 cup Carrot, cut 1 in. diced
- 1⁄2 cup Celery, cut 1 in. diced
- 1 ea. Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups Beef Broth
- 1⁄4 cup Honey
- 1⁄2 cup Soy Sauce, Low Sodium
- 2 Tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet Liquid Seasoning
- 1 pinch Oregano, Dry crushed
- 1 pinch Basil, Dry
- - Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 5 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- Cook together butter and flour over medium heat approximately 3 to 5 minutes to make roux. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet or braiser. Sear the short ribs on all sides until well browned then place the short ribs into a deep, oven safe pot, with a tight fitting lid of the appropriate size to hold all the short ribs.
- In that same skillet, saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic cloves for a few moments to soften and then add to the beef.
- Pour beef stock, honey and soy sauce over beef. The pan size should be selected so that the liquids just cover the meat.
- Add Kitchen Bouquet and seasonings to the liquids and cover the pan tightly.
- Cook in a 335 F oven for 3 hours or until the largest piece of meat is fork tender being careful NOT to break apart the meat pieces.
- After meat is tender, carefully remove meat from the cooking liquids being careful not to break apart meat pieces. Carefully trim the meat away from the rib bones and place all the meat pieces in a deep sided service dish.
- Strain the resulting cooking liquids into a saucepan, skim off ALL the resulting fat from the surface and THEN, over medium heat, whisk in the prepared roux a little at a time, until the sauce is JUST thickened slightly.
- Strain sauce once more, adjust the sauce's seasonings with salt and pepper and ladle the sauce over the meat to coat.
- Reserve additional sauce for those who would like more sauce.
- Optional: If you love mushrooms, sear large diced white mushrooms and serve over the ribs or stir them into the sauce.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/