Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Grape Tomato Ultimate BLT Salad
A Grape Tomato is a class of tomatoes originally believed to be of Southeast Asian origin. Shaped similarly to the oblong plum tomatoes but having the small size and sweetness of cherry tomatoes, they produce small and typically oblong fruits. Introduced to the worldwide market in the 1990’s, the Grape Tomato became an overnight sensation with both produce growers and customers alike. Producers benefit from the grape tomato’s hearty skin and high yield per plant, while customers enjoy the enhanced sweetness and convenient size. The most well-known and commercially significant variety, “Santa F1” was introduced into the United States market in 1997 by grower Andrew Chu, who obtained the seeds from Taiwan. This particular hi-bred has now flourished on both U.S. coasts and provides Nino’s with an abundant supply of these delicious tomato morsels year-round.
Write a review
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 cups Grape Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, sliced matchstick
- 1 lb. Nino's Amish Maple Bacon
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Half & Half or Milk
- To Taste - Salt & Pepper
- To Garnish - Salvaggio's Garlic Croutons
- Chop lettuce into 1” pieces and place into a medium to large size salad bowl.
- Cut bacon into 1” size pieces, cook until crisp, and add to the lettuce.
- Cut Grape Tomatoes in half and add to the lettuce mix with the red onions.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise with the half & half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour this “dressing” mixture over the salad and toss.
- Garnish with Salvaggio's Garlic Croutons
- *Optionally, you may use Nino’s American Ranch Dressing in place of the mayonnaise dressing.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/