Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
German Spaetzle Casserole
Each late September and early October we prepare this wonderful German noodle casserole dish and each year we seem to get a larger following. Full of Bechtle brand spaetzle noodles and mushrooms all tossed in creamy beef and dill sauce, it's a suprisingly delicious combination. In addition, this recipe is a wonderful side dish that will go well with just about any roasted pork, chicken or beef entree.
Write a review
- 1 pkg. Bechtle Spaetzle (approx. 1 lb.)
- - Salted Water, as needed
- 2 oz. Salted Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Cloves, sliced fine
- 2 cups Red Onion, sliced 1/4"
- 2 cups White Mushrooms, Medium to Large, sliced 1/2"
- 1⁄4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 1⁄2 cup Beef Stock or Beef Broth
- 6 oz. Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Dill
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Bavarian Swiss Cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup Salvaggio's Bread Crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- Bring salted water to a boil. Blanch Spaetzle in the salted water and cook until al dente. Drain, rinse in cold water and reserve.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter and saute garlic and onion until tender and lightly browned. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are tender (5 minutes).
- Add flour and stir in, making a paste with the ingredients. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add beef stock or broth and stir to make a medium thick sauce. Cook 2 to 3 minutes being sure sauce is at a low simmer.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place spaetzle in a medium large bowl and pour sauce over noodles. Stir or toss noodles with sauce thoroughly.
- Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick oil and pour noodle casserole mixture into pan.
- Arrange shredded Bavarian Swiss Cheese over top of casserole.
- Bake casserole for 20 to 30 minutes until cheese is melted, and the casserole's sauce is bubbly. Remove casserole from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes at room temperature before service.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over casserole before service.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/