Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
If you've never really had a chance to enjoy eggplant, then this is the recipe for you. The sweet, tender eggplant, coupled with the pasta in basil pesto with Marinara sauce is an unbeatable combination. Which is why it has always been one of our most popular Italian entrees in our Gourmet to Go department.
Write a review
- 1 Large Eggplant, peeled and sliced in 1/4" long panels
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 each Extra Large Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 cups Salvaggio's Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil, for pan frying
- 1 Lb Vermicelli Pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Pesto
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 24 oz Jars Salvaggio's Marinara Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- Cook vermicelli pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Rinse in cold water, drain well, toss in the fresh basil pesto and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- After slicing the eggplant, lightly salt each side and place between layers of absorbent paper towels for 5 minutes to absorb excess moisture.
- Beat together eggs and milk, then dredge each slice of the eggplant with flour, dunk in the egg milk mixture and coat with the Italian bread crumbs. Repeat with all slices and set them aside.
- Pour frying oil in a shallow skillet and heat to approximately 350 F. Fry eggplant slices on each side until golden brown and reserve on absorbent paper towels.
- Allow eggplant slices to cool then portion a 1/2 cup of the pesto seasoned vermicelli pasta at one end of the eggplant slice and roll tightly to create a roll approximately 2" in diameter.
- Place each roll in a lightly greased or buttered casserole dish and top all rolls with 2 to 3 TBSP of the Marinara Sauce.
- Top the Marinara Sauce on each with approximately 2 TBSP of grated Parmesan cheese and bake the entire casserole dish of rollatini in a 375 F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until fully heated through.
- Place the remaining Marinara sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the rollatini from the casserole dish and plate with the additional Marinara sauce and a sprinkle of additional Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/