Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Crusted Red Skin Potato Bake with Ham and Cheese
A hearty potato casserole with the addition of ham & cheese makes this a crowd favorite and a good choice for holiday family get togethers. Choose red skin potatoes over Idaho so that there is a nice firmness to the potato after it is cooked.
Write a review
- 4 cups Red Skin Potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Sweet Onion, diced 1/4"
- 1 ea. Red Bell Pepper, diced 1/4"
- 1 cup Honey Ham, diced 1/2"
- 3⁄4 cup Half and Half
- 1 cup Mild Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- - Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup Salted Butter
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- Prepare a medium size oven bake-able casserole dish by spraying with non-stick vegetable spray, then, pre-heat your oven to 400 F.
- In a medium size, non-stick fry pan over medium high heat, cook potatoes in oil until golden brown, tossing as necessary to brown evenly.
- Add onions and peppers to the browned potatoes and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ham and saute to heat ham through.
- Add half & half and cheese and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir gently until mixture slightly thickens then turn into prepared casserole dish.
- Melt butter and stir into bread crumbs to moisten.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the surface of the potato casserole and bake in the oven until crumbs are browned.
- Remove casserole from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then serve.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/