Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Crispy Cabbage Rolls (in Phyllo)
If you're looking for a "gourmet" recipe for cabbage this is definitely a candidate! Similar to egg or spring rolls, this crispy Phyllo recipe can be either an appetizer or main course.
Write a review
- 6 strips Bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Green Apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 4 cups Green Cabbage, shredded
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets Phyllo Dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Salvaggio's Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- In a medium size saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the bacon until crisp.
- Leaving the bacon and resulting grease in the pan, add the onions and garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add the apples and cabbage. Turn the heat to medium and saute for approximately 5 minutes or until the cabbage is slightly glossy and limp.
- Season with salt and pepper then remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- On a clean, flat surface, lay out a sheet of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter. Lightly and evenly sprinkle approximately 1 Tbsp. Salvaggio's Italian Bread Crumbs over the sheet and repeat layering 2 more phyllo sheets with butter and bread crumbs over the top of the first sheet. (3 sheets total)
- Depending on the size of the particular phyllo sheets you've used, cut the layered sheet into 3 even rectangles and then divide the cabbage mixture into 6 even portions. 3 to be used now and the other 3 to be used once you repeat the buttering and bread crumbing of the remaining 3 sheets of phyllo you have.
- Place a portion of the cabbage mixture centered at the bottom of the narrow end of your rectangles. Fold over the bottom edge of the phyllo to cover the cabbage mixture, fold a left and right edge of the dough to seal the end then roll forward to fashion a tubular roll.
- Repeat with the remaining rectangles and with the remaining 3 sheets of phyllo and filling placing each finished roll seam side down on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake the rolls in a 450 degree F oven approximately 15 minutes or until the phyllo dough is medium brown and crisp.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/