Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
"Country Skillet" Baby Red Skin Potatoes
These baby potatoes have become more widely available and can now be found almost all year round. They are characterized by their rosy red skin, but generally have a white/creamy flesh. Red potatoes have a firm, smooth and moist texture, making them well suited for salads, roasting, boiling and steaming. They hold up particularly in soups, stews, and chowders. Round reds are often referred to as “new potatoes”; however, technically, “new” refers to any variety of potatoes that is harvested before reaching maturity. The recipe below is particularly suited to the Baby Red Skin Potato as it can handle the tossing and combining of multiple ingredients while maintaining its shape and delicious texture when roasted.
Write a review
- 2 lbs. Baby Red Skin Potatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 6 strips Butcher Shop Brand Maple Bacon
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, sliced fine
- 2 stalks Green Onion, cut 1/4" on angle
- 3/4 cup Sweet Corn Kernels
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley, dry flakes
- 1 cup Cream (or Half & Half)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Cut Baby Red Skin Potatoes in half and place in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add oil and toss, then spread out potatoes on a roasting pan or cookie sheet and place in the oven.
- Roast approximately 30 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned and fully cooked.
- In a separate skillet, cut bacon into ½” strips and sauté until crisp retaining the bacon grease.
- Add sweet onion, green onion & corn and sauté until onions are lightly colored and tender.
- Drain off all grease and add potatoes, parsley and cream.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce cream (or half & half) until the potatoes begin to bind together slightly.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, season with salt and pepper and serve warm, presented in the skillet.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/