Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Coney Island Salad
When you think about it, Hot Dogs are Bologna in a different shape and Chili is a close cousin to the seasoned Taco Meat you'd make for a Taco Salad. SO? What's so unusual about this salad?? When you look at it like that...actually nothing?
Write a review
- 2 Heads Iceberg (Head) Lettuce, cut or torn into 1" pieces
- 1 Quart Nino's Firehouse Sirloin Chili
- 4 each Hot Dogs, Nino's Butcher Shop Brand or other
- 1 cup Red Onions, cut in 1/4" x 1" small strips
- 1⁄4 cup Green Onions, cut in 1/4" pieces
- 1 cup Mustard Creme Dressing, recipe is available on this site
- 3 each Hot Dog Buns, cut in 1/2" slices
- Begin by cutting the hot dog buns and seasoning them with melted butter, chili powder and cumin powder (just a little will do).
- Bake the Bun "croutons" in a 375 F oven for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until golden color and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make salad by arranging the cut lettuce in a large bowl with an impression in center.
- Warm the hot dogs, then cut into 1/4" slices and sprinkle them in the middle of the lettuce.
- Warm the chili (not hot) and pour it over the hot dogs.
- Garnish the top of the salad with red & green onions, mustard creme dressing and the crisp hot dog bun croutons.
- Shredded cheddar cheese may be added as an optional ingredient.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/