Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Inspired by the famous Apple "brandy" Calvados, this dish of chicken and apples is a continental "classic". Choose a firm, somewhat crisp apple (Honey Crisp's are MY personal favorite) and a sweet onion type.
Write a review
- 4 strips Ninos Butcher Shop Maple Bacon, cut in 1" pieces
- 1 each Onion, diced 1/2"
- 1 tsp. Garlic, Fresh, chopped
- 6 each Chicken Breasts, Boneless, Skinless
- 1⁄2 cup Flour, Seasoned with Salt and Pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Canola Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 3 each Apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced 1/4"
- 1 tsp. Freshly Ground Cardamom
- 1⁄3 cup Calvados, Cider Brandy or Brandy
- 1 tsp. Thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Apple Cider
- 1⁄2 cup Heavy Cream
- - Salt & Pepper, To Taste
- In a medium size skillet or fry pan over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Add onions and cook until they are softened (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute one minute longer.
- Remove mixture from pan, strain off all excessive bacon fat and reserve.
- Flour breasts in seasoned flour.
- Add oil to the pan formerly used to fry bacon and pan fry chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken breasts from pan and reserve.
- Strain off all oil from the pan; add 2 Tbsp. of butter and saute apples until lightly colored.
- Add bacon, onion and garlic mixture and re-heat.
- Add Calvados or brandy and ignite. When flames extinguish, add cider, cardamom and thyme.
- Reduce by half and add cream.
- Simmer until sauce slightly thickens.
- Add chicken back to the pan and baste sauce over chicken to re-heat.
- Plate chicken on dish and pour over sauce with its garnish.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/