Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Chicken and Eggplant Rollatini with Ricotta and Basil
This recipe is a version of Nino's popular Eggplant Rollatini but instead of basil pesto pasta, this Rollatini is stuffed with chicken and ricotta cheese. If you prefer, you can substitute a dollop of basil pesto in place of the julienne basil. The choice is yours.
Write a review
- 1 Eggplant, large
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Flour, Seasoned with salt & pepper
- 2 cups Salvaggio's Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 lb. Meat from 1 Rotisserie Chicken, julienne
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup Fresh Basil, fine julienne
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 Pint Nino's Homemade Palomino Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated or shredded (for garnish)
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/4" thick slices.
- Flour each slice of eggplant on both sides.
- Beat together the eggs and milk and dip floured eggplant slices to coat.
- Dredge in Italian bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a shallow fry pan until medium hot and pan fry eggplant slices on both sides until golden. Allow slices to cool to room temperature.
- Lay out breaded eggplant slice with narrow end toward you.
- Place approximately 1/4 cup of julienne chicken meat, 2 Tbsp. of ricotta cheese, 1 Tbsp. of Parmesan cheese, and 1 tsp. of finely julienned fresh basil at the end of the slice. Season with salt & pepper and roll up into a tube. The tube will be approximately 1 1/2" in diameter.
- Continue for the remaining eggplant slices. You should expect to have approximately 8.
- Place all Rollatinis in an oven proof baking dish and re-heat in a 350 F oven approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- While Rollatinis are baking, heat Palomino Sauce.
- Serve 2 Rollatinis per serving topped with sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/