Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Chicken a la King
Wow, does this dish have history! Firmly grounded in restaurants of yesteryear and Sunday nite dinner tables of today, Chicken and Turkey a la King recipes were in nearly everyone's recipe box in the 50's. Although those days seem to be gone, this recipe, when made well, is still a favorite today. Quality produce and a slash of sweet sherry make or break this recipe...thankfully, you shop at Nino's!
Write a review
- 1⁄4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless, cut in 1" pieces
- - Kosher Salt, as needed
- - Ground Black Peppercorn, as needed
- 2 cup Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 each Green Bell Pepper, fresh, medium, cut in 1" pieces
- 2 cups Spanish Onion, peeled, cut in 1" pieces
- 1 each Red Bell Pepper, fresh, medium, cut in 1" pieces
- 1 each Yellow Bell Pepper, fresh, medium, cut in 1" pieces
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. Thyme, dry
- 1⁄2 tsp. Spanish Paprika, ground
- 1⁄4 cup Sherry
- 1 Qt. Nino's Chicken Gravy
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. Black Peppercorn, ground
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides as needed.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan and sear the chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown in color. Once brown remove from the pan and place onto a sheet tray with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 375 degrees until cooked through (approximately 15 minutes).
- In the same pan you seared the chicken, add mushrooms and saute until golden on high heat. Add onion and saute briefly until slightly soft.
- Add peppers and saute for an additional 45 seconds. Add garlic, thyme and paprika and continue to cook another 45 seconds. Add the sherry and cook for 10 more seconds.
- Add the gravy and bring to a low simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When chicken is cool, cut into 1" x 1" cubes and add to the mixture in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with noodles or rice.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/