Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Braised Brats, Bacon and Bavarian Sauerkraut
A German classic, the combination of bacon, onions and potato paired with the sourness of sauerkraut and sweetness of Nino's own Homemade Bratwurst makes this recipe a great Oktoberfest dinner.
Write a review
- 1⁄2 lb Bacon, minced
- 1⁄2 lb Small Vidalia Onion, diced
- 24 oz. Hengstenberg Bavarian Sauerkraut
- 2 lbs. Medium Idaho Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 tsp. Caraway Seeds
- 1 oz. Chicken Base
- 3 cups Water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Grilled Nino's Bratwurst
- 3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Grill the bratwurst on both sides until evenly marked and set aside.
- Render the bacon until brown and crispy.
- Add the onions and saute until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut, caraway seeds, potatoes and chicken stock (made from chicken base and water) and brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and lay the sausages on top and cover.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Pull the sausages and cool. Then slice on a bias about 1/4" thick and add back to the sauerkraut potato mixture.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/