Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Blackened Yellowfin Tuna with Fresh Pineapple Salad
I can still remember the day I spent creating the Cajun Blackening Spice formula we now sell at Nino's. Batch after batch of blending spices, tasting, more blending, more tasting...until I got JUST the right amount of heat, herbaciousness and crust from the blend of herbs, spices and sugars. And MAN did I pay for it !!!...my hands burned for what seemed like days, not to mention my tongue...ouch. This recipe is a wonderful contrast of savory heat and cool, refreshing sweetness all paired beautifully together.
Write a review
- 4 8 oz Fillets Yellowfin Tuna, skinned
- 1⁄2 cup Salvaggio's Cajun Blackening Seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup Butter, melted
- 4 each Red Bell Peppers, dry roasted, peeled and seeded and cut into 1/4" strips
- 1 each Pineapple, peeled, cored & sliced in 1/2" rings
- 1⁄2 cup Red Onions, diced 3/8"
- 1⁄4 cup Cilantro, Fresh Leaves, chopped
- 1 small Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 each Limes, juiced
- 1 tsp. Garlic, Fresh, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- - Non-Stick Vegetable Spray, as needed
- Spray each side of the fresh pineapple rings with vegetable spray and char-grill or pan sear them on high until medium brown in color. Chill and cut each ring into 1/2" size chunks and chill.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, toss together pineapple, red bell pepper, onions, cilantro, jalapeno pepper. lime juice, garlic, sesame oil, honey, salt and pepper. Chill.
- Melt butter and paint each side of the yellowfin tuna fillets, then season each side LIBERALLY with the Cajun Seasoning.
- In a DRY cast iron or heavy bottom skillet over high heat, place the tuna fillets in the pan and leave, untouched, for 3 to 5 minutes or until each side is WELL blackened. (Length of time will depend on preferred doneness). CAUTION: Be sure you do this in a WELL VENTILATED area. The resulting smoke can be choking...
- Serve the finished, blackened fillets with the Pineapple & Roasted Pepper Salsa and enjoy.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/