Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Black Bean Soup with Smoked Ham
One of my very favorite soups, this Black Bean soup recipe is full of flavors and surprises like ham & bits of vegetables. It freezes well so there's no reason why not to make a BIG batch!
Write a review
- 1⁄2 cup Nino's Maple Bacon, cut in 1/4" pieces
- 1 cup Sweet Onion, diced 1/4"
- 1⁄2 cup Celery, diced 1/4"
- 1⁄2 cup Carrot, diced 1/4"
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, Fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Jalapeno Pepper, minced
- 1 Quart Chicken Stock, nice and strong flavored
- 3 cups Black Beans, Canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 Ham Bone, optional
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. Oregano, Dry Crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp. Liquid Hickory Smoke
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Honey Ham, cut in 1/4" to 1/2" pieces
- 1⁄2 cup Green Onion cut in small slivers
- 1 cup Sour Cream, for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot, cook bacon until crisp, saving the grease.
- Add sweet onions, celery, carrots, garlic and jalapeno pepper and sweat for 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add stock, canned beans (with juices), ham bone, spices, liquid smoke & brown sugar and cover. Turn heat to low and simmer one hour.
- Remove ham bone and puree entire soup well.
- Adjust seasonings with salt & pepper and garnish with ham, green onions and sour cream when serving.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/